Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Giving Back :)

You want to know what brings me the most happiness? Giving back. You don’t have to have a lot of money to help others, you just have to be willing to make small sacrifices. Let’s say, you get a coffee every morning on the way to work. Instead of doing that, why don’t you buy something that’s worth the same amount of money to a homeless person on the street. I’m sure they could use the food more than you could use that coffee. Lately, I have been buying food for the homeless more and more. I really do think it’s the best feeling in the world. I love to see the look on their face, just the complete shock, when you hand them a meal. Honestly, it doesn’t matter how much you spend. To them, a meal is a meal. Buy them something you would like and really appreciate. Giving back is something that my grandmother taught me. She was always such a sweet person and always thinking about everyone around her. I think she thought about others more than she thought about herself!

The last time I bought someone a meal with the other day. I was eating at this new restaurant in town called Caspers. It was really cold outside and pouring rain. A homeless man pulled up on his bike and came inside and sat down to warm himself up. I heard him say, “If you’re going to kick me out, do it now.” I felt so terrible, sitting there eating, so I walked over to the waitress and told her to let him buy anything he wanted. You should have seen the look on his face. He was so grateful and excited to get to eat cat fish. He reminded me that I added another ten days to his life. I thought that was very cute. He walked over to my table, and gave me a coin that said “Love Coin” on the front. It is something I will cherish forever.

What have you done to give back lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment